A free public event celebrating our nation’s armed forces on the
@LAWaterfront at the @PortofLA: September 2-5, 2016. #LAFleetWeek2016
Join us in celebrating the arrival of 2,500 US Navy Sailors to Downtown San Pedro on Thursday, September 1, 2016. The “block party” will feature three stages of live music, street performers, our famous red trolley, food trucks, art galleries and more! Street closures will include three blocks on both 6th and 7th Streets between Centre Street and Pacific Avenue. Parking is located at 222 W. 6th Street, San Pedro CA, 90731.
We are excited and thrilled to welcome all the sailors for Los Angeles Fleet Week that we’re throwing a big block party! We want to welcome everyone to San Pedro Historic Downtown Waterfront (PBID). We also want to thank the Port of Los Angeles, Councilman Joe Buscaino, Pacific Battleship Center – Battleship USS Iowa, the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce and all of our partners for bringing LA Fleet Week to San Pedro.
“We’re going to be promoting this as one of the ‘must-see, must-do’ events,” Mayor Eric Garcetti said in a press event in regards to the inaugural LA Fleet Week announcement. LA Fleet Week runs from September 2 – 5, 2016. Visit https://
Downtown San Pedro will be brimming with activity on September 1, performances and appearances from the following performers on three stages:
• Star Performances from, Bob Hope USO presents The USO Show Troupe, Jonathan Stout and his Campus Five, feat. Hilary Alexander, Mambo Swing, Navy Band Southwest 32nd Street Brass Band
• San Pedro’s Local Bands includes, Fiesta Jones, Infinite Ways, Mid Life Crisis, CALLE 6
• Dance performances from, The Satin Dollz, San Pedro’s Line Dance Team : Peoples’ Place Pacers, Sarah Aisha and Alec Marken, DaanSekou West African Music and Dance Ensemble
• DJ/MC by DJ Anthony Valadez and DJ Frosty
Hosted and Sponsored by San Pedro Property Owners’ Alliance (PBID) and Port of Los Angeles. This program is made possible in part by a grant from the the California Arts Council, a state agency, and the City of Los Angeles, Department of Cultural Affairs, City of Los Angeles.
This Wednesday at Jones: 1:00 – 2:30pm,
Join Us for Coffee Talk with Immy from Rwanda!
On Wednesday, August 31sth, from 1:00pm – 2:30pm at Jones,
Listen to Immy Kamarade tell her stories of helping to rebuild Rwanda through specialty coffee following the 1994 genocide that took 800,000 lives in 100 days.
We hope you will join us!
We’re honored to invite you to come and meet an extraordinary woman and friend of Mireya’s. Immy is currently the chapter president for The International Women’s Coffee Alliance (IWCA) in Rwanda. The IWCA’s mission is to empower women in the coffee sector through training, networking and new trade development.
Immy was featured by NPR as one of “4 African Women Who Are Changing the Face of Coffee.”
Here’s a quick excerpt from the NPR article:
“When Immy Kamarade wanted to spend more time with her kids (sound familiar, working moms?), she knew she had to learn a new trade. She quit her job in the medical field and started a coffee business. She says she’s now working as hard as ever, but it’s more on her own terms. She’s established a cooperative of 100 women who are producing and processing coffee in her home country of Rwanda.”
“‘It’s a new day for Rwanda,’ she says…Women there never had access to education or rights to land ownership, but ‘today a woman owns land like her husband and signs on the land title, and a woman has a right to open a [banking] account.'”
Check out this blog post to read more about the incredible Rwandan coffee that we have in stock at Jones…ready for you to try!
We’ll see you on Wednesday at 1:00pm! Please help us spread the word.
Connect With Us On Facebook & Twitter!
ITT Tech halts enrollment amid ban on federal aid.
New Enrollments will drop up to 60%
Other institutions are experiencing a similar fate as the federal government increases scrutiny on for profit institutions.
Early this week California banned ITT from accepting new student enrollment at 15 locations.
Earlier this year Massachusetts Attorney General Muara Healey sued ITT for deceptive practices and abuses.
The website currently shows a message “We are not enrolling new students”
Not sure what this means for existing students and aid that is being distributed.
It appears that ITT Technical Institute is in trouble. According to Wikipedia, ITT was established in 1969. With 130 campuses across the nation. Headquarters located in Carmel, Indiana.
ITT Educational Services, Inc. stock symbol ESI traded as high as $72.16 in August 2011. Today August 29, 2016, the stock is trading below $0.45 cents!
This is the investor site, parent company site.
Save the Date!
Envision. Engage. Ignite.
October 17-23, 2016
With over 40 events in 4 tracks: science, tech, design and entrepreneurship,
the 3rd Annual Connect Week, hosted by Innovate Pasadena, has something for you!
Sign up for our bi-weekly newsletter
to receive up-to-date details!
The Taste of Mexico Association
Saturday, October 15, 2016 from 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM
Tickets for The 6th Annual Taste of Mexico Culinary Festival on Saturday, October 15 are here! LA‘s largest all-inclusive Mexican tasting event just got even better. The Taste of Mexico returns for its 6th Annual Culinary Festival taking the best Mexican food in Southern California to the next level by partnering with The State of Baja California, bringing the best of Baja to LA: Chefs, Baja beer, wine and more.
Are you ready? Get your tickets to enjoy unlimited tastings from 35+ restaurants, the best of Baja feat. the Baja Pavilion, Baja wineries, Northgate Gonzalez Market‘s Deli, Cerveza Estrella, I Love Micheladas straight from the Michelada Mobil, craft cocktails from our Mezcal corridor and Tequila Bar, live entertainment and more!
And to top it off, we’ve got special $10 OFF pre-sale VIP & GA tickets. Check out the Eventbrite ticket page and enter: TOM2016PRESALE for your discount. Hope you’re hungry. We’ll see you there! #TOM2016
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA & BAJA CALIFORNIA’S TOP MEXICAN RESTAURANTS & CHEFS!
ONE TICKET PRICE= ALL YOU CAN EAT + DRINK
LA‘s largest all-inclusive Mexican tasting event just got even better! The Taste of Mexico returns for its 6th Annual Taste of Mexico Culinary Festival taking the most authentic Mexican food in Southern California to the next level by partnering with The State of Baja California, bringing the best of Baja to LA: Chefs, Mexican craft beer, wine and more.
Mark your calendars! This year’s festival is on Saturday, October 15th, 2016 in the beautiful courtyard of LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes, LA’s dedicated museum to Mexican American history and culture located in the heart of Downtown LA. The perfect setting for 5,000 guests to enjoy unlimited tastings from 35+ restaurants, the best of Baja feat. in the Baja Pavilion, partners booths, Baja wineries, Estrella Beer, Micheladas straight from the Michelada Mobil, craft cocktails from our Mezcalería and Tequila Bar, live entertainment and more!
This year’s Taste of Mexico festival kicks off with our VIP Hour beginning at 6:00PM (doors at 5:00PM) and General Admission opens at 7:00PM. The event goes until 11PM!
VIP HOUR – $85
Saturday, October 15th, 2016 | 6PM – 7PM (doors at 5:00PM)
The VIP hour includes early admission with doors open one hour prior to the event start time for one full hour of exclusive VIP tastings, early admission entry to enjoy unlimited tastings of food and beverages from our 50+vendors, plus beer, wine and cocktail sampling and live entertainment and more with no crowds!
GENERAL ADMISSION – $65
Saturday, October 15th, 2016 | 7PM – 11PM | (doors at 6:00PM)
General Admission includes unlimited tastings of food and beverages from our 50+vendors, plus beer, wine and cocktail sampling and live entertainment!
GET YOUR TICKETS HERE ON EVENTBRITE!
- All tickets include unlimited food tastings from all participating restaurants and participating sponsors.
- Access to all-you-can-drink in our Tequila Bar, Mezcaleria, Michelada Mobil, Baja wines, Craft Cocktails and more!
- Live Entertainment, Cumbia, Mariachi and Photo Booth!
WE HAVE THE COOLEST SPONSORS, CHECK OUT THE LINEUP!
https://www.thetasteofmexico.org/2016-sponsors/. The the Taste of Mexico Association is proud to partner only with trusted brands and companies who share the Association’s values.
- There are no extra charges for food and drink inside the event. Both VIP & GA tickets include all food and drink + access to entertainment.
- 21+ only event. No exceptions (no babies or small children allowed, no exceptions!)
- I.D. check requiered for entry, don’t forget yours!
- VIP Admission begins at 6pm. (doors at 5pm). No VIP ticket holders will be admitted prior to 6pm
- General Admission begins at 7pm (doors at 6pm). No GA ticket holders will be admitted prior to 7pm.
- Tickets do not need to be printed. Tickets can be scanned from your smart phone.
- Last call is at 10:15p.
- Tickets are transferrable between attendees.
- Tickets are NOT refundable and cannot be exchanged.
- Discounts can NOT be applied after purchase.
- Tickets are available online only.
- No tickets are sold at the door when the event is sold out.
- No readmission or “In-Outs”.
- Event is rain or shine.
- Please drink responsibly.
- Food and drink MAY NOT be taken outside of the event.
- Due to health regulations, only service dogs will be allowed.
- All Atendees consume food and beverages at the event at their own risk and hold The Taste of Mexico Association, Inc. harmless of any incidents with food related allergies.
- All Attendees acknowledge that the food sampled at the event may contain allergens and/or may have come in contact with items containing allergens, such as: milk, eggs, fish, shellfish (e.g. crab, lobster, shrimp), tree nuts (e.g., almonds, walnuts, pecans), peanuts, wheat and soybeans.
- Attendees who may need to use an epi-pen should be carrying their own. Event staff is NOT trained to administer epi-pens and CANNOT provide or administer them.
- This event is non smoking / vaping.
- Entertainment, participating vendors and sponsors are subject to change.
- Parking is tricky in DTLA, especially on a weekend! Please plan accordingly by using Uber or lyft and save yourself the parking hassle.
- Leave your car at home… Go Metro! Take Metro to Union Station (5 min. walk to LA Plaza).
- For parking lots nearby, please check locations here
- For any questions regarding the event please contact Event Coordinator, Fabiola Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook Cloned Account Profile How to Prevent and Report
Facebook cloning of accounts has been going on for years, recently the number of people who have had their accounts cloned appears to be increasing. Although Facebook is not reporting any stats you probably know someone who has had their Facebook account cloned.
Some tips for preventing your facebook account from getting cloned include the following.
- Post on your facebook page so your friends will know not to accept friend requests from anyone attempting to send friend requests to all your existing friends.
- Change profile and cover pics regularly
- Privacy options, change them so only your friends can see your photo albums.
- Privacy options, change so only friends can see your posts.
- Very important delete “friends” you really don’t know.
- And do not accept friend requests from people you don’t know.
Reporting fake or cloned accounts is important. You can report a fake or cloned profile by clicking on the bottom right of the cover photo and select “Report” and follow directions from there.
Bring Your Dream of Starting Your Own Business to Life. Event in Pasadena.
RSVP at: www.entrepreneurialpasaden
The Gril at Brookside’s First Annual Battle of The Bloody Marys October 2, 2016 10am-1pm at Brookside Golf Club Pasadena
Come taste the best Bloody Mary’s in the San Gabriel Valley!
Vote for your favorite!
$15 in advance
$20 at event
Tickets include 6 tastings
Call now for tickets: 626.577.4497 x2
Brookside Golf & Country Club – 1133 Rosemont Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91103
Join us for a totally awesome TRIVIA NIGHT August 25, 2016 at 7pm!
Entry is FREE! Bring a group of your friends to Brookside Trivia Night for awesome food and drink specials and a chance to win rad prizes!
RSVP for Preferred Seating!
There will be amazing beer specials, late night menu and prizes for the biggest brainiacs!
RSVP for Preferred Seating to 626-577-4497 x 2
Love games, food, and drinks? Join us at Brookside Golf Club for Trivia Night on Aug. 25th at 7:00pm #thegrillgeeks pic.twitter.com/JC5zIbren1
— Brookside Golf Club (@BrooksideGC) August 19, 2016
ENTRY is FREE!
Sponsored by NEW BELGIUM
When Thursday, August 25, 2016 from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM (PDT) – Add to Calendar Where Brookside Golf & Country Club – 1133 Rosemont Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91103 – View Map
Join us for a totally awesome TRIVIA NIGHT August 25, 2016 at 7pm! There will be amazing beer specials, late night menu and prizes for the biggest brainiacs!
RSVP for Preferred Seating to 626-577-4497 x 2
ENTRY is FREE!
Sponsored by NEW BELGIUM