Looks like Apple is stepping up the activity with what is being done to resolve and “improve” antenna problems/issues/defects on the iPhone, which with the latest iPhone 4 has become even more ridiculous.
Here’s a posting from the Apple Jobs site for an Antenna Engineer. AT&T points the finger at Apple and Apple points the finger at AT&T. They are both to blame for all the dropped calls and poor reception issues.
Antenna Engineer – iPad/iPhone
Santa Clara Valley
Responsibilities: Define and implement antenna system architecture to optimize the radiation performance for wireless portable devices. The candidate should be able to design antennas suitable for wireless handheld devices with excellent radiation performance, including TRP, TIS, SAR, and EMC. Work closely with other RF and antenna design engineers, mechanical and industrial designers, and EMC engineers to integrate the antenna design in our products. The candidate will be expected to performance radiation performance measurements, create test plans, execute them, publish test reports, provide feedback to the other design engineers, and lead some of the manufacturing of antenna.
Skills and Experience:
* 10+ years of experience in RF with at least 5 years in antenna design and test for wireless consumer products.
* MSEE required, PhD is preferred.
* Must have working experience of antenna design and tests, anechoic chambers, and RF test equipment. Hands-on is a must.
* Must have strong problem solving skills and strong working knowledge of radiation performance. Antenna and wave propagation theoretical background is essential.
* Experience with different wireless communication systems such as GSM/GPRS/EDGE, 802.11, Bluetooth, etc., including the corresponding system level specifications (e.g. ETSI 51.010, 51.05…) is essential.
* Experience with regulatory requirements and process for wireless consumer devices, including FCC, PTCRB, CTIA, ETSI, TIA/EIA, etc.
* Excellent communication skills required, both written & verbal.
* Detail oriented – taking data, using Excel, and making meaningful tables/graphs/averages.
* Experience with simulation tools such as XFDTD, HFSS is a plus.
FTC - Site employs income earning affiliate linking