Source: Institute of Economics and Peace website
You can see visit the index page where you can sort and see the various factors used to rank the states and metros areas.
Maine is the most peaceful state for the 11th consecutive year, Louisiana least peaceful state.
Wyoming has improved the most while Arizona records the biggest fall.
Cambridge metro area is the most peaceful, Detroit the least peaceful.
The U.S. is more peaceful than at any time in the last 20 years.
Further improvements in peacefulness would generate hundreds of billions of extra economic activity.
1. Maine led the way with its low rates of incarceration, crime and police presence that translate into relatively reasonable costs to taxpayers, only $1,281 per year.
2. New Hampshire
Most Peaceful Metro Areas
1. New England – Cambridge, Massachusetts,
2. Edison-New Brunswick, New Jersey, and
3. Seattle, Washington,
4. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota
5. Peabody, Massachusetts
Bottom of the rankings,
1. Louisiana nation’s least peaceful state, as it has been for the last 20 years.
Least Peaceful Cities:
2. New Orleans,