Surf’s Up! The Beach is Coming to Pasadena…
Surf’s Up, Pasadena! Silicon Beach Fest – LA’s first festival celebrating LA tech, entertainment & startups with panels, keynotes, workshops, mixers, and more – is coming to Pasadena for one day on Monday, June 17, 2013.
10AM-11AM: Design Better, Feel Better: How UX is Improving the Patient Experience in Healthcare
Hosted by: SeedHIT
There are a lot of opportunities to improve user experience in healthcare. This session will provide insights on the current state of UX in healthcare and the challenges surrounding compliance, operations and workflows inside and outside the traditional walls of healthcare. We will show how design improvements, consumerization trends and technology innovations are making a positive impact to changing traditional healthcare operations, business and care models as well as creating new opportunities for entrepreneurs and startups.
- Nardo Manaloto, Founding Partner at SeedHIT Studio and Director of Innovation & Solution Design at Kaiser Permanente
- David Lee, CEO at Huntington Medical Foundation
- John Trenouth, Principal Healthcare UX/UI Designer at Spire Innovations
3D printing is hot among early adopters and being widely discussed in the media, but can it live up to all the hype? In this session, early adopters will discuss how 3D printing is creating new revenue and cost saving opportunities for startups and where this technology is headed.
- Joseph Chiu, Founder at ToybuilderLabs.com
- Bruce Dominguez, Manager of Rapid Prototyping at Art Center College of Design
- David Cawley, Director of Rapid Prototyping and Model Shop Services at Art Center College of Design
- Diego Porquerias, Founder at Deezmaker 3D Printer Shop
- Dan Newman, Co-Author of Sailfish (open-source firmware for enhancing Makerbot 3D printers)
- Leslie Oliver Karpas, CEO and Co-founder of Metamason
Engineered and life science companies continue to be challenging to fund and grow. With the “Clean-Tech” bubble bursting and “Big Pharma” downsizing, a lot of collateral damage has been done to the engineered and life science space. Product development and qualification cycles are long and switching costs may be significant. The bottom line is that the better mouse trap does not always win in the marketplace. A compelling economic or performance advantage (preferably both) must be present for a new technology to win. Patient investors and the right strategic partners are critical for success. Several companies in this space will be presenting as well as a representative from The Office of Technology Transfer at Caltech.
- Dr. Michael A. Giardello, President, CEO and CTO at Materia, Inc.
- Dr. Patrick Sislian, Co-founder and CEO at Deton Corp
- Dr. Hannah Dvorak-Carbone, Associate Director, Office of Technology Transfer (OTT) at Caltech
- Dr. Simon Jones, Vice President of Technology at Contour Energy Systems
- Dr. Sean Caffey, Co-founder and CEO at Replenish, Inc.
1PM-2PM: LUNCH BREAK
Lunch will not be provided, but enjoy one of the nearly 100 restaurants in Old Pasadena, all within walking distance of Idealab: http://oldpasadena.org/gc_searchResults.asp?cat_id=3
2PM-3PM: UX Case Studies for Startups
Hosted by: NELAUX
User experience can be a competitive advantage for startup companies entering established markets. In this session, we will look at how selected startups have leveraged design to differentiate themselves and provide tips on product design.
- Petra Cesario, Founder at NELAUX and Strategic Visual/UX Design Consultant
- Jon Fox, Founder at NELAUX and UX/UI/Design Consultant
- Kristen Ding, Vice President of Design at Idealab
- Erik Wingren, UX Design Consultant at Interactivism
3PM-3:30PM: AFTERNOON BREAK
Optional Activity: Tour of Idealab
3:30PM-4:30PM: Content Marketing for Startups: Lessons From Big Media Operating at a Startup Pace
Hosted by: Perfect Market
Content marketing can provide startups a cost-effective way to develop audiences and customers. In this session, startups will get practical tips and best practices on SEO, social media and content development from the experts who advise some of the world’s largest media companies.
- Tim Ruder, Chief Revenue Officer at Perfect Market
- Chris Muller, Senior Audience Development Consultant at Perfect Market
- Tony Pierce, Former Blog Editor at KPCC and Los Angeles Times
- Martin Beck, Reader Engagement and Social Media Editor at The Los Angeles Times
4:30PM-5PM: EVENING BREAK
Time to make the 7-minute walk over to Barney’s Beanery. Directions from Idealab: Walk east down Union Street, turn right on Raymond, turn left on Colorado. Barney’s Beanery is on the north side of the street at 99 E. Colorado Blvd.
5PM-8PM: TechSparks SparkUp (Barney’s Beanery)
Join us at Barney’s Beanery for the TechSparks SparkUp, a monthly mixer for entrepreneurial minds in Pasadena. The first 50 tickets are FREE, thanks to our sponsors at Media Temple. Subsequent tickets are $10 and include food + first drink.
- 5-7PM – Food, Drinks & Networking
- 7-8PM – Spark Tank: Judges will provide feedback on three ideas/products in the development/beta stage. Please join us. #SparkTank
$20 for Full-Day Pass. Includes all sessions, excluding the TechSparks SparkUp Mixer.
$10 for TechSparks SparkUp Mixer
Silicon Beach Fest Passholders: Your registration for SBF Pasadena is included in your purchase of the Silicon Beach Fest Full Event or Full Event VIP passes. Promotional codes are available for Silicon Beach Fest passholders. Please check your confirmation email or contact Kevin Winston, Digital LA, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hosting Company Employees and Guests: Employees and guests of KPPB, Idealab, SeedHIT, Materia, ToybuilderLabs, NELAUX and Perfect Market are eligible for comped registration. Please check with the hosting company to get a promotional code.
Note: Promotional codes do not cover the TechSparks SparkUp event, but the first 50 sign-ups are free, sponsored by Media Temple.
Registrations are not refundable. Schedule is subject to change.
All sessions will take place at:
130 W. Union Street
Pasadena, CA 91103
Cross Streets: Union and Delacey
Parking is readily available in the area. More information on parking in Old Pasadena is available here: http://oldpasadena.org/map.asp
Idealab will not be validating parking for this event.
Thank you to our sponsors who have made this event possible.