Santa Monica Tour da Arts, vol. 5 ! Sunday, August 18, 11 am – 5 pm @SMMoA #TourDaArts
Beat the pump, cycle the town, and enjoy Santa Monica’s sights and sounds with Tour da Arts, vol. 5. The Santa Monica Museum of Art’s fifth annual event takes you on a ride filled with music, dance, and art.
Tour da Arts schedule and festivities:
Tour da Arts kicks off with a welcoming bicycle-themed festival at SMMoA. The focus of this year’s festival will be multi-modal transportation and the creative side of bike culture. As the first stop on the tour, SMMoA represents the visual arts and hosts walk-throughs of its summer exhibitions.
11 am – 1 pm: Tour da Arts Festival and Check-in at the Santa Monica Museum of Art
- Tours of SMMoA’s current exhibitions: Joyce Pensato: I KILLED KENNY, dosa at SMMoA: Exploring Joshua Tree, and Marco Rios: Anatomy of an Absent Artist
- Bike Advocacy: Learn fun and safe biking tips from Santa Monica Spoke/Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition, LA Metro, City of Santa Monica Transportation, and C.I.C.L.E.
- Art Bikes and Tune-ups: Get a complimentary bike tune-up from Bikerowave, a volunteer-run community operated bike repair shop in Mar Vista. Check out Solé Bicycles’ Art Bikes, a series of unique, artist-designed fixed-gears
- Food and Drink: Enjoy delicious options from ONE Coconut Water, Clif/Luna Bar, and Whole Foods Market Santa Monica
1 pm: Tour da Arts, vol. 5 Cultural Bike Tour departs SMMoA
1:30 – 2:15 pm: Second Stop: Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club
- Enjoy We Love Tap— a live, contemporary tap performance by Chloe and Maud Productions
- Refreshments and snacks provided by Whole Foods Market Santa Monica, Clif Bar, ONE Coconut Water
3:00 – 3:45 pm: Third Stop: Grant Elementary School Playground
- At the Oasis— an exclusive performance by Heidi Duckler Dance Theatre choreographed specifically for this stop
- Refreshments and treats provided by Handsome Coffee Roasters and Isabella’s Cookies
4:15 – 5:00 pm: Final Stop: Return to SMMoA at the Bergamot Station Arts Center
- TOUR DA ARTS RAFFLE: Give-aways include brand-new bicycles from Bike Attack and iZip Hybrid Electric Bicycles, and goodies from Pedal or Not, Linus and Handsome Coffee Roasters! Must be present to win.
What to Bring: Basic riding skills and a bicycle in good running order. All participants under the age of 18 must wear a helmet and be escorted by a parent or guardian. Children under the age of 9 should be on a tag-along, bike trailer, tandem, or other safe child-carrying device.
25 free bike rentals will be provided by Perry’s Café and Rentals on a first-come, first-served basis. Bike reservations can be made in the registration form while supplies last.
Congratulations to David Chernoblysky, SMMoA’s Tour da Arts, vol. 5 “Bike Critter Art Contest” winner! The Museum accepted drawings of cycling critters from artists of all ages. The winning critter was selected by a panel of three professional judges—illustrator Calef Brown, artist Mel Kadel, and Giant Artists agency’s Jen Lamping—to serve as the featured mascot for this year’s ride.
Participation in Tour da Arts, vol. 5 is FREE thanks to our generous sponsors: the City of Santa Monica and the Santa Monica Arts Commission and the Barnwood Foundation.
Special thanks to our event partners: Santa Monica SPOKE/LACBC, C.I.C.L.E., Clif/Luna Bar/Clif Kids, Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club, Grant Elementary School, Bike Attack, iZip Hybrid Electric Bicycles, Solé Bicycles, Pedal or Not Electric Bike Tours and Pedego Santa Monica Electric Bicycles, Linus Bikes, LA Metro, Perry’s Café and Rentals, Bikerowave, City of Santa Monica Water Treatment Program, Bergamot Station Arts Center, LLC.
Special thanks also to our in-kind sponsors: Whole Foods Market Venice, Clif Bar, ONE Coconut Water.
Tour da Arts, vol. 5 !
Sunday, August 18, 11 am – 5 pm
Here are some helpful tips:
Must be present to win
Festival and Ride Highlights:
|Tours of SMMoA’s current exhibitions
Free Tour da Arts bags for the first 250 guests
Fun and safe biking tips from community bike and transportation groups
Bicycle tune-up tent
Complimentary drinks and snacks along the ride
We Love Tap— a contemporary tap dance performance by Chloe and Maud Productions at the Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club
At the Oasis— a site-specific performance by the celebrated Heidi Duckler Dance Theatre at Grant Elementary School’s playground