Dear Fellow CSCers
This month’s call-to-action recommends that the Pasadena City Council consider evidence-based reform and greater community oversight of the Pasadena Police Department. One way to reduce crashes and traffic violence is through enforcement, but our organization has been concerned that a call for increased traffic enforcement could increase or validate police violence against people of color. The streets cannot be complete if ALL people cannot travel safely. See below for more information about how you can make a difference.
The City of Pasadena is hosting a special Public Safety Committee meeting Wednesday, June 10th at 1:00 p.m. to discuss potential options for greater accountability and civilian oversight of the Pasadena Police Department (this meeting was postponed from June 4th).
The City’s Public Safety Committee is composed of four elected officials — Pasadena Mayor Terry Tornek, Vice Mayor Tyron Hampton, and Council Members John Kennedy (Chair) and Steve Madison. This is an issue they formally considered several years ago — following several fatal use-of-force incidents and in response to requests by a coalition of local community groups including the Pasadena chapters of the NAACP and ACLU — but a majority of the City Council (i.e. 5 members) could not agree.
Below are details on the meeting, including where it can be viewed online, as well as how community members can submit comments. This is an opportunity for Pasadena residents looking for a way to be engaged locally.
- What: Pasadena Public Safety Committee – Special Meeting
- When: Wednesday, June 10th, 1:00 p.m. start
- Videoconference: Livestreamed on https://www.pasadenamedia.org/channel/kpas/
- Meeting Agenda: Agenda Item #1-3 – includes 2015 staff report on options
- How to submit Public Comment: Public comment can be submitted via the City’s online form or by emailing email@example.com, but only comments submitted via the City’s online form can be read aloud.
- On the online form, simply select “Public Safety Committee”, Agenda Item #1. Please note that if you would like your comment to be read aloud to the Committee Members you will need to check that box on the online form.
Agenda for the Public Safety Committee can be found here when it is posted.