Happy New Year 2020!
The Year of the Rat.
Happy New Year 2020!
The Year of the Rat.
HOURS OR OPERATION:
Monday thru Sunday, 7am to 11pm.
The newest restaurant from the Anaya family, bringing authentic flavors of Mexico 🇲🇽 to Pasadena.
630 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena CA 91101
2020 Rose Parade Safety Tips
As the 131st Rose Parade® presented by Honda approaches on Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2020, Pasadena’s Fire and Police Departments are issuing the following safety tips for the thousands of overnight campers who will line the route on New Year’s Eve. The parade route will be a safer place if everyone follows these rules and regulations:
• Overnight camping is permitted only on the night of Tuesday, Dec. 31.
• A position on the sidewalk may be maintained along the parade route beginning at noon, Dec. 31. All persons and property, such as blankets, chairs and personal items, must remain on the curb until 11 p.m. At that time, spectators may move out to the blue “Honor Line” but not passed it.
• Small, professionally-manufactured barbecues elevated at least 1 foot off the ground are allowed on the parade route as long as they are 25 feet from buildings and other combustibles. A fire extinguisher must be readily available.
• Minors under the age of 18 may be on the parade route from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. only if they are supervised by an adult.
• Dress for cold weather! Children and seniors may need extra layers of clothing to avoid hypothermia. Remember hats and gloves.
• Drink healthy fluids and consume nourishing meals to avoid dehydration.
“If You See Something, Say Something®.” Report suspicious activities and packages to emergency authorities along the parade route.
• In case of emergency, call 9-1-1 and know the cross streets from where you are calling. For non-emergencies, call (626) 744-4241.
• Appearance in the parade is prohibited for any entries/marchers who have not been approved by the Pasadena Tournament of Roses®. Stay off the street and do not pass the blue “Honor Line.”
• Tents, sofas, and boxes of any type that can be used as stools or seats are prohibited along the route.
• Unoccupied chairs are not allowed and will be removed from the parade route.
Bonfires are strictly prohibited and considered “illegal burns.”
• ALL fireworks are prohibited except as part of official scheduled events.
• No items may be sold along the parade route without a City permit.
• Selling space along the parade route, other than grandstand seating, is illegal.
• It is illegal to buy, sell or give away horns on the parade route.
• No public areas—sidewalks, curbs, gutters, streets or ramps—may be blocked or roped off.
• No ladders or scaffolding may be used as elevation for viewing the activities.
• Pets are not recommended along the parade; keep them safe at home!
• Throwing any object into the parade—or at passing vehicles or pedestrians the night before the parade—is dangerous and prohibited. Violators will be cited and their property will be seized.
• Unauthorized vehicles obstructing emergency travel lanes or parked in restricted areas will be towed at owners’ expense. No exceptions.
• Open containers of alcohol are illegal on public streets, sidewalks and all other public areas. Violators will be cited or arrested.
For your safety and for the safety of others, please remember the City’s no-smoking policies [Pasadena Municipal Code section 8.78.071 (A) 4] prohibit smoking in outdoor public gathering events/special events/parades/fairs. This policy includes the use of cannabis and vaping devices (aka e-cigarettes). The public is advised to NOT use any vaping products. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported 2,142 lung injury cases associated with the use of vaping products, with 42 deaths in 24 states. To get help quitting, call 1-844-8-NO-VAPE or visit http://www.nobutts.org/quitvaping. To quit smoking cigarettes, call 1-800-NO-BUTTS.
Enhanced security measures will be in effect on the parade route. Pasadena police officers will resolve problems quickly and remove anyone from the scene who violates the law or disturbs the peace. Police canine teams will also be patrolling Colorado Boulevard.
Colorado Boulevard will once again close to motor vehicles earlier than in prior years for the staging of the Rose Parade®. Colorado Boulevard will close beginning at 10 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2019 and will remain closed through the conclusion of the staging and clean-up following the parade. The parade route will re-open by 2 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2020.
If you plan to host a New Year’s Eve event, viewing party, or anticipate vendor deliveries, and your property’s access is via Colorado Boulevard, please let your guests and vendors know that they must arrive before 10 p.m. or park in areas without restricted parking and walk in.
Pasadena Fire Department responds to more than twice the number of calls on parade day than any other day. These calls include reports of hypothermia, illegal burning, miscellaneous medical issues, assaults and alcohol-related incidents. Be safe and smart!
The Pasadena Convention and Visitors Bureau will staff its special Visitor Hotline at (877) 793-9911 now until Dec. 31 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday – Friday; closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
Stay connected to the City of Pasadena! Visit us online at www.cityofpasadena.net; follow us on Twitter at @PasadenaGov, and Instagram and Facebook at @CityOfPasadena; or call the Citizen Service Center, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday at (626) 744-7311.
Is it possible to port your phone line from a land line to Google voice? Apparently yes, but it requires some work, and you have to check to make sure that your area code is supported. First you have to move the landline service to a mobile service. In my case I chose TING, which offers a SIM card for $5 + $4 shipping. I am waiting to receive the SIM to proceed with porting my landline. Many landline customers have cancelled their service, but still the cost for a landline from Spectrum is $9.99 but can be higher depending on the level of service. Having a landline with Spectrum really offers no benefits.
If you live in Pasadena and are having issues with Spectrum you can contact: Franchise Administrator – City of Pasadena 150 S Los Robles, Suite101 Pasadena CA 91102 Phone: (626) 794-8585
The telcom companies of today are known for their questionable practices in billing and acquiring and retaining customers, and for years there have been those questioning the tactics used to deliver and shape speed of broadband to customers. In particular seeing as companies run speed tests on their own speed test sites, and use that to tout their speeds. Not disclosing that those controlled tests are far from the reality of what customers experience. On top of all this the FCC yearly review and release of scores on providers, comes under scrutiny as well as those results are again influenced as the companies know who and where the locations of where the tests are performed. How is that a “real” test? That then the telcom companies use to tout the speed of their service.
Spectrum and AT&T are notorious for questionable practices as per an article in the Wall Street Journal just published.
To top this the proof that many providers limit speeds to Netflix, and perhaps other services is controversial. What is the level of guaranteed service these companies must offer. Is this why the entry of SpaceX and others into the broadband market will increase competition and improve performance for customers? We hope so. Run your speed tests and call your carrier and make sure you are getting the speeds you are paying for. I know I had Spectrum supposedly upgrade my service and charge me only to find out my service was never upgraded and the rep actually admitted to be this. Which I think asked what my recourse was. Basically there was no recourse. Billing dept was closed. And nobody can help. This is the environment that Spectrum, AT&T and others want to promote, basically giving their customers no options and trapping them into their service, so they can increase prices and their profits and customers have nowhere else to go. But there is a breaking point for customers and other companies will come into the market and offer better service for a lower price.
Tesla has new operational chargers in Pasadena, in the Paseo parking lot across from the BJ’s and Equinox, top level parking structure. There are what appears to be 24 Tesla changers and at least 20 of the non-Tesla Level 3 chargers, there is a new topic of discussion around there really not being a level 3 charging, that there are really only level 1 and level 2, you can watch this Professor John D Kelly discuss the topic. There will be 44 chargers total when the Pasadena Fast Chargers become operational. A ribbon cutting is anticipated sometime in February 2020. There are other large charger facilities around but 44 in one location is certainly a large installation. If you have been to Caltech you have seen the installation of chargers there with a variety of different chargers.
The City of Pasadena labeled chargers are pay to use, we are not certain of the rates to use, and the only other Level 3 DC fast charger we know about is located at the Del Mar parking structure operated by Greenlots. For these it appears that Titanium has been working with with ChargePoint on the network.
For the City of Pasadena chargers they appear to be branded with VeeFit, which at this point could be ChargePoint or another app that is required to use. No details on the charge rate at this time.
The biggest challenge here is knowing what the charge is to charge and driving up to the top floor. And parking rates, perhaps this lot with 90 minutes free with validation, or 30 minutes free without, it wasn’t even clear to the people using the Tesla chargers this past weekend, but it appeared that all the Tesla chargers are in full operation and this location is not even showing on the Tesla app. Once that happens we expect usage to go way up, perhaps Tesla will increase the number of chargers as there is room, and perhaps solar panels will be installed to help with energy production.
There is a handicap parking spot for EV, which makes sense as the portion of chargers is important to have a spot for handicapped parking.
According to reports Tesla covered the infrastructure cost for installing the 20 city owned chargers, estimated at $140,000..
There are a few level 2 chargers located on the bottom floor.
Margie Otto, spokesperson for Pasadena Water and Power has not returned inquiry for more details.
| Fun to the World! |
42nd Pasadena Doo Dah Parade this Sunday! 11:00 am
doo dah info line: 626-590-7596
starts at: 2627 E Colorado Blvd. Between Altadena Dr. and San Gabriel Blvd.
Doo Dah checklist: lawn chair sunglasses, wig, outrageous clothing cooler fully charged phone cash for t-shirt Twohey’s Food Truck refreshments later comfortable shoes
626-590-7596 public recorded hotline 24/7
42nd Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Parade
This Sunday Jumping off at 11am
WHAT: (Pasadena, CA – November 20, 2019) The Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Parade celebrates 42 years of irreverent frolicking on the streets of Pasadena this Sunday, November 24th. On Doo Dah day, over 85 unique entries will be joining in the fun from all over Southern California.
Queen Jesselynn Desmond and Grand Marshals Seismo Sue and the Seismo Sistahs lead dozens of inventive, if zany, if zany, art cars, floats, and a legion of revelers past the mom-n-pop shops along East Pasadena’s shady tree-lined streets with a memorable cast of local eccentrics, disruptors, political pundits, lone wolves, steam punks, makers, and merrymakers.
WHEN: Doo Dah steps off at 11am. Immediately following the event, many after-parties will take place in the Parade vicinity.
WHERE: The Parade loops along Colorado Boulevard, between Altadena Drive and San Gabriel Boulevard, in East Pasadena. Start location is 2627 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena, CA 91107.
COST: The event is always free-of-charge to the public!
MORE INFO: Doo Dah is delighted to welcome first-time entries Heads of Hair Band, Mother Earth & Monarch, When Life Gives You Lemons, Nova Star, Cookie Monster, The Church of the SubGenius, Running with the Clowns, Tiki Kiki’s Moon Girl, Piano Team, Taco Car, Universal Basic Income YangBots, Monkey Boy and the Wild Tiger, and Tortilla Village. Entries also include perennial favorites: the Pasadena Scottish Pipes & Drums, RoboBee, Flying Baby, LA Derby Dolls, Wisdom Arts Lab, Golffin, Rock ‘n Roll Preservation Society, Murrugun the Mystic sword swallower, Recumbent Revolution, the Auto-ettes, Firewall of China, Toy Soldiers, Samatronics, among many others. Jingle Balls Junior College Marching Band will close the parade and ring in the holiday season. And… not a rose will be harmed in the making of this parade!
Yes, another Doo Dah is here to help you forget your humdrum existence!
EVEN MORE INFO: Known as the twisted sister of the conventional Rose Parade, the Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Parade began as a grassroots event in 1978 to gain national attention for its eccentric and, often, irreverent satire. The parade which has spawned numerous off-beat replicants across the country was even highlighted in last year’s Wall Street Journal. It was also named by Readers Digest’s “America’s Best Parade,” and was featured in the book 50 Places You Must Visit Before You Die. To recount the fascinating and confusing history of Pasadena Doo Dah Parade since 1978, please visit our website’s ARCHIVES page. Anyone wishing to participate, visit our website or call!
PARKING: Plenty of street parking is available ~ Parade route is also just west of the Sierra Madre Villa Gold Line Station (at Colorado Blvd. and Sierra Madre Villa). City busses go directly to the area. Call Uber or a cab.
FOOD TRUCK: Located off the parade route next door to Poo Bah records (at 2636 E. Colorado Blvd.) include Twohey’s food truck.
OFFICIAL AFTER-PARTY: American Legion, 179 N. Vinedo St. (2 blocks from Parade at Vinedo & Walnut) immediately following the event. New Astroturf and Queen Ruby Chard & the FunGuys, dancing, cheap food and drinks!! $3 cover.
MORE DOO DAH AFTER-PARTIES:
PooBah Records, one of Pasadena’s favorite independent music stores, will feature live in-store DJ with real records. Poo Bah’s is located at 2636 E. Colorado Blvd., right on the parade route. No cover
The famous Colorado Bar, located right next door at 2640 E. Colorado Blvd. will feature 3 Fingers live rock band, along with salty chips and drinks! No cover
Old Towne Pub: Live music by Lightning Dan & the Crawdads (2-5pm), Spyders from Memphis (5:30-6:30pm), and Soul Fuzz (7-9pm). Enter through the alley at 39 E. Holly St. No cover
MEOWMEOWZ! Retro 80’s Thrift Shop at 2423 E. Colorado Blvd. just a block west of the parade route. Live music by Radio Active Chicken Heads, treats, concert ticket giveaways, free and all ages welcome! Last year’s Queen Veronika, owner. No cover
For more information go to: http://www.pasadenadoodahparade.info
|Check out the website for all the after-party info! www.pasadenadoodahparade.info|
Vroman’s Bookstore Wine Bar named 1894 is slated to open soon, the window sticker shows as November 2019. Located at 695 East Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, CA (626) 449-5320
This is the website link for the wine bar.
Post Date: 11/20/2019 11:40 AM
Burbank, CA (November 20, 2019) – International animation sensation CTN animation eXpo will be taking over the Los Angeles Marriott Burbank Hotel and Convention Center with 400+ top creators on the exhibition floor along with 10,000 fans and attendees from the world-wide animation industry, Thursday, November 21 through Sunday, November 24. Tickets start at $40 and are available at www.ctnanimationexpo.com.
For the 11th year, the CTN animation eXpo will turn the spotlight on production artists and creative visionaries in the animation, visual effects, and video game communities. The 2019 theme is “Transformations,” shedding a light on growth in both the hard and soft skills of being an artist in the animation industry, providing rocket fuel to creators establishing their talent and position in the industry. Animators consistently empower the content that brings films, CGI, special effects, and virtual reality to life across a wide spectrum of entertainment, signaling the importance of the CTN eXpo to filmmaking.
Special appearances at this year’s CTN animation eXpo include:
• Adonna Khare, an American master carbon-pencil storytelling artist. Her work has been featured in the Los Angeles Times, The Huffington Post, Juxtapoz Magazine, Hi-Fructose, Mashable, and more.
• Award-winning fantasy illustrator and educator Ed Binkley, who has crafted a masterful style of illustration that is finely detailed and signature to him.
• Acclaimed and highly sought-after fashion illustrator Jacqueline Bissett. Her clients include such fashion giants as Louis Vuitton, Giorgio Armani, Yves Saint Laurent, Cartier, Ralph Lauren, Vogue, Disney, and more.
• Paul Heaston, an obsessive sketchbook-keeper who has spent his life mastering the concept of drawing normal everyday things and turning them into visual symphonies of sketch art.
• Sergio Pablos, one of the most successful animators transformed to writer, director, and studio owner working today.
Additional appearances include animators Will Weston, Ross Tran, Jake Parker, Charles Hu, Mac Smith, Glen Keane, Kris Pearn, Max Ulichney, Don Hahn, and Peter Schneider.
Sneak Peek Screenings include:
• Sneak screening of the most-awaited Disney sequel, Frozen II.
• A preview of Netflix’s exciting slate of 2020 films with special guests and never-before-seen footage of projects including Kris Pearn’s The Willoughbys and Glen Keane’s Over the Moon.
• Late night screening of I Lost My Body with director Q&A.
• A premiere screening of Klaus, written and directed by Sergio Pablos in his directorial debut, and distributed by Netflix as its first original animated feature.
• Premiere of Walt Disney Animation’s Short Circuit, an experimental short film due for release in 2020.
• Additional screenings include Waking Sleeping Beauty and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
Long-format Master Classes include Michal Makarewicz for animation; Oliver Thomas, Jerrica Cleland and Dave Zaboski for story; and Goro Fujita for VR.
Attendees are encouraged to make a connection with talent on their own or through CTN’s Information Scavenger Hunt and Design This challenge, where participants are encouraged to bring a sketchbook, and connect with as many of the headliners in the Featured Artist Live Studio as possible.
Ford Motor Company with the announcement of the Mach-E is attempting to change the game. Funny thing is that they are trying to copy Tesla in many aspects. Tesla is the leader and all the big auto companies are playing catch up, The big auto companies have the distribution and manufacturing capacity to crank out the volume. Tesla is far behind in the ability to meet demand. Ford has a name and it will be interesting to see how the public reacts and if it accepts the Mustang brand as an EV. 300 mile range is certainly increasing the game and others will soon follow. Expect to see 300+ as a standard range in the next year. Nissan Leaf will be left in the dust.
All new Mach E was announced on November 17, 2019 in Los Angeles.
Jim Hackett CEO of Ford. Fast 4G modems. When will test drives be offered? When will we be able to test drive? Made in Mexico.