16th Annual Open House
We are expecting large numbers this year and parking is limited. Please consider taking public transit. The Observatories is a 10 minute walk from the Lake Metro Goldline station. There is ample free parking at the Sierra Madre Villa station. Lyft/Uber might also be a good option.
- Meet our astronomers and learn about their discoveries at the frontiers of science today
- See amazing photos from Las Campanas, Carnegie’s state-of-the-art observatory in Chile
- Visit the Machine Shop to see how instruments are made for our telescopes in Chile
- Bring your questions about the Universe to the “Ask the Astronomer” table
- View the sun through a solar telescope
- Tour the historic Hale Library and learn about more than a century of pioneering achievements by Carnegie scientists
- From our archive: see a display of historical astronomical images on glass plates including a 15″ sunspot spectrum taken in 1919
- Get the latest update on the Giant Magellan Telescope —one of the most powerful next-generation telescopes.
- Enjoy ice cream, drinks and music in the beautiful outdoor courtyard.
- Make your own constellation and other fun children’s astro activities.
All are welcome, NO RSVP NECESSARY!
Sunday, October 15, 2017
2:00 – 5:00pm