Today, we are excited to announce that Amazon Echo is available to everyone.
We launched Echo as an invitation-only program in November to learn how customers would use and enjoy it most. The response has been overwhelming.
Echo was born from a simple idea: create a computer, controlled entirely by your voice. This idea required some incredible invention. It had to understand natural language requests, from many voices, from across a room, even when music is playing. It also needed to be informative, entertaining, and useful—while always getting smarter.
With seven microphones, beam-forming technology, and noise cancellation, Echo achieved this goal by enabling far-field voice recognition. And Alexa, our cloud-based voice service that powers Echo, provides information, music, news, weather, and more—and she is constantly learning new skills.
Since launch, we have added streaming music from Pandora, audiobooks from Audible, calendar access, live sports scores and schedules, traffic reports, Amazon.com re-ordering, control of connected devices such as lights and switches from WeMo and Philips Hue, and more. Many of these features are a result of feedback and suggestions from our customers—thank you.
I am excited by what the team has done in a short period of time with your help—and we’re just getting started. We hope you enjoy Amazon Echo.
Founder & CEO
P.S. — See what some of our early customers are saying about Echo.
- Information, music, audiobooks, news, weather, traffic, sports, and more–instantly
- Controlled by your voice for hands-free convenience
- Far-field voice recognition hears you from across the room
- Connected to the cloud so it’s always getting smarter
- 360º omni-directional audio to fill the room with immersive sound
- Compatible with Belkin WeMo and Philips Hue connected devices to control lights and switches with your voice
- Plays music from Amazon Music, Prime Music, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and more